The rupee weakened against the US dollar at Rs160.33 in the inter-bank market on Friday compared with Thursday’s close of Rs160.18, according to the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP). Earlier, the SBP let the rupee depreciate massively in the inter-bank market after finalisation of an agreement with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a loan programme on May 12, 2019. The IMF has asked Pakistan to end state control of the rupee and let the currency move freely to find its equilibrium against the US dollar and other major world currencies.
- Sheikh Rasheed says Shahbaz’s name has not been placed on ECL
- Cyclone Tauktae to intensify further, cause thunderstorms in Karachi, other parts of Sindh
- 83 more die from coronavirus in a single day across Pakistan
- Sindh rejects reports claiming it has banned Sinopharm vaccine
- In conversation with FM Qureshi, Palestinian counterpart appreciates unflinching support